Saturday, July 05, 2008

The New Computer

Today was the first day of what I thought would be my first 2-day weekend. Silly me. After having my computer stolen (and constant checking on the computers at work to make sure my bank accounts were ok), production actually bought me a new computer! It's a thousand times better than my other computer, but of course, I'm missing all of my old work files, photos, music, and years of downloading software that made my computer experience what it was built up to be. Does that make any sense? For example, I tried to watch a downloaded video on the computer today. When it wouldn't work, I sat there completely puzzled. This same video had always worked on my older computer. I finally realized that I needed to download the DivX codec...which I had done probably two years previously on my other computer. Slowly and surely, I'm getting this computer to be what it needs to be for my purposes.

The computer they got me is a tablet PC. For those of you who don't know what that is, the screen can fold around and rest on top of the keyboard. There is then an electronic pen that can be used to write on the screen. As far as i know, this is a preferred computer for the digital script supervisor. If I ever choose to go digital as a script supervisor (though I don't see that happening any time soon), this new computer will make it that much easier. So today was spent primarily at the computer, downloading programs, figuring out the intricacies of the computer, restarting over and over again, etc.

One of the most recent things that was lost on my old computer was all of the work that I had done this last weekend for the new episode. I had saved it and put it on a flash drive to print it at work. Of course, the flash drive was IN the computer bag that got stolen. I will have to do some of that same work tomorrow...though probably in an abbreviated form, because I can't bear to sit down again for a whole day to do a breakdown that I'd already done. If anyone complains about the abridged episode 103 breakdown, I will calmly explain that the unabridged form is now in the hands of a criminal.

The other major thing that I am upset to have lost is my entire supply of crosswords...including the one that just got accepted. As of now, the only way to get it back is to download it when it finally appears in the paper. I had other ones as well (years of them), but more specifically ones that were done but not yet submitted. I will have to start from scratch on those now.

Last night I went out with a couple of people from work. We went to a club called Roxy GoGo. Many places here have english names, but none of the employees speak english, of course. Fortunately, Roxy is in walking distance to my apartment. For those of you that know the clubs in Los Angeles, I'm trying to think how I would describe it. It's a little bigger than Roosterfish, but only because it has a second floor. It was dance music the whole night. Think of a much smaller, dive-ier version of Rage without the attitude. I was ready to leave at 2am...actually I was ready to leave long before that, but I finally said I was going at 2. My friends wanted to stay longer, so I don't know what time they ended up getting to sleep.

Tonight, many of the cast and crew went to the restaurant Andres Carne de Res, which, if you have read the earlier posts, I was there several weeks ago. Many still had not been there. I had a great time when I was there on a Friday night, but it was packed. I was told that Saturdays are not a fun night to be there because it is double the amount of people. I hope I chose wisely not to go. I wonder if everyone on Monday morning will be standing around the agua cooler telling stories of debauchery on Saturday night. Besides sitting at the computer all day, I had a headache for much of it. I really wasn't up for going to the restaurant. I'm sure sitting at a computer screen all day wasn't helping the headache.

I feel like I'm totally rambling, so I think it's time for bed.

On a final sad note, I was shocked to find out on Thursday of the passing of Christopher Snell. For those of you who didn't know him, he was a fine actor and a good friend. I will always remember having group outings to go see his plays. I think most of us are surprised to hear this news. We all knew he was sick, but the last I had heard, he was in England resting and recuperating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit tracker